Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New to here, and really need help with my hair
07-08-2015, 09:29 PM
New to here, and really need help with my hair
Hi,

I am really struggling with my curly hair at the moment. I am in the process of growing it. It used to be really long, then I had it cut really short, and now I am growing it again - the length now is just above my shoulders.

I don't use any heat at all, and let it dry naturally. Even when I go the hairdressers, I don't allow them to dry it. I have been doing this for about a year and a half now.

My problem is, is that I am just not loving the curls. It is frizzy, very course and just completely out of control, so my mid afternoon I end up putting it up. I have tried so many different products, argon oil, etc, and today tried a new shampoo and conditioner with grapeseed oil, but here I am looking like a fuzz ball.

I run my own business, so don't have loads of time in the morning, so leaving it to dry natural is good for me in that way.

I would really like some advise, because I am at a stage where I am ready to chop the whole lot

Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2015, 02:15 PM
RE: New to here, and really need help with my hair
Hi Shel and Welcome! Have you figured out you're hairs properties yet? That is the 1st step as then we can hopefully help you find the right products/routines instead of just blindly trying loads of different products with little success! If you go over to the blog and then to the 'curl articles' section and start at the beginning (in date order, so the oldest 1st) and have a read. Let me know what you think and I'll do my best to give you some help/suggestions!

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

http://www.loveyourcurls.com.au
10-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Hello Lou,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I have been having a read, and I would say looking at the pictures that I am 3A. I have a lot of hair which is very course and prone to frizzing. I would say my hair is low porosity. My hair is also highlighted with a blonde and medium brown.

I do try to do deep conditioning once a week on my hair, but often just don't get the time.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks
Shel

(10-08-2015 02:15 PM)Lou Wrote:  Hi Shel and Welcome! Have you figured out you're hairs properties yet? That is the 1st step as then we can hopefully help you find the right products/routines instead of just blindly trying loads of different products with little success! If you go over to the blog and then to the 'curl articles' section and start at the beginning (in date order, so the oldest 1st) and have a read. Let me know what you think and I'll do my best to give you some help/suggestions!
12-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Hi Shel,

What is you current routine - how often do you wash/co-wash, are you completly 'CG', what products are you using, how do you style etc? Sorry I know thats abit annoying but the more I know I'm hoping it will help to see whats going on!

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

12-08-2015, 09:17 PM
Hello Lou,

Not a problem at all.

When my hair was really long I washed it maybe once a week, if that - because if it needed washing then I would put it up. Now it is shorter I would say that I was it 2 to 3 times a week. Mainly I wash it more now because of all the different products I try and because the only time I really like it is when it is wet.

I don't use a hairdryer at all, I just let it dry naturally. Normally wash and condition in the shower, then stick it up in a towel for a few minutes, then comb through. I use the Aussie miracle recharge moisture leave in spray, then some serum, then Catwalk TIGI Curlesque. I have tried different makes of Argon oil too.

One thing I did today which was different, I just used conditioner (Tresemme), and no shampoo. I then put up in towel, and then used the above mixture and then twisted my hair and once dry just shook it out a bit. (which is a thing that a hairdresser taught me when I had now hair cut from long to short). She told me that the least amount I touch my hair, the less frizzy it becomes. Today for the first time in a long time I actually like my hair, as long as I don't touch it too much.

I think my main problem is, is that I try too hard with it, and try too many different products. I even get to a stage when I have put products on and I am happy, but then I see a bit of hair that I am not happy with, and on goes more product and then it just looks a mess.

I have been told by different hairdressers that my hair strands are not that thick, it is just that I have loads of them. They are also very course. One thing I do notice is that if I lift the top layer of hair which is course and frizzy, underneath it is very soft. I am assuming this is a lot to do with sun damage?

I hope the above helps.

Really appreciate your help with this.

Many thanks

Shel
(12-08-2015 10:55 AM)Lou Wrote:  Hi Shel,

What is you current routine - how often do you wash/co-wash, are you completly 'CG', what products are you using, how do you style etc? Sorry I know thats abit annoying but the more I know I'm hoping it will help to see whats going on!
03-09-2015, 08:01 PM
Hi dear! I understand you as I was directly in your shoes. Every morning I had the same problem...how to style my frizzy hair. Thanks God, I`ve found this source - http://therighthairstyles.com/a-few-supe...rly-coils/ . Now, I have no problems with my hair styling.
04-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Sorry I have been slow in getting back to you! I’m not sure if the products you are using are sulphate and silicone free – when you say you shampoo your hair is this with a sulphate free shampoo? Sulphates are really harsh and drying especially for curly hair so I would cut these out straight away. You can get sulphate free shampoo’s or even better, like you have already tried, use a silicone free conditioner. I presume you are aware of the ‘curly girl’ method which is the name given to the no silicone/no sulphates routine? I’m not a hundred percent sure but perhaps the products you are currently using aren’t silicone free – this will make a big difference! What type of towel are you using? Try not to use ‘normal’ towels as these cause friction with curls and you end up with frizz – it’s like your hairdresser was saying, the less touching etc the less frizz. I’d get a micro-fibre towel, I use a ‘travel’ towel which is totally smooth – I got mine online but I have seen them in Kmart in the camping section. Here is a bit about why they are great and also about how to wrap your hair so you get less frizz:

http://loveyourcurls.com.au/loveyourcurl...it-sounds/

Going back to the less touching thing, personally I find if I style my hair when it is soaking wet and then use a towel I get MUCH better results. Like you said, you like your hair best when it is wet, that’s because it’s in its natural curl pattern and is all smooth. You need to use that to your advantage and style when it is like this – personally the wetter my hair is when I style the better the results as it’s much easier to smooth on product without disturbing the curl pattern. I literally squeeze my hair and then apply product while its wet and then I use the towel technique above to then soak out the excess water. That way your hair is ‘set’ while it looks good and then you are just removing the excess water. Then you can just leave it to dry!

http://loveyourcurls.com.au/loveyourcurl...urly-hair/

Finally, you said your hairdresser said you have thin strands but just lots of them (just like me!) but then you said they are coarse. Can I ask what makes you think they are coarse? Just as if they are thin I’d presume they are fine rather than coarse. The top layer is generally more frizzy just as this layer gets touched more, is open to the elements/ gets slept on etc etc. That’s is something I think nearly every curly person will find, and I certainly do. I don’t want to totally overwhelm you but a protein treatment is great if you have soft/fine hair (which can also be the cause of frizz!) which is something we can look into if need be.

I get what you mean about the products, I used to be exactly the same. I think that’s why it’s important to really understand your hair and why it behaves in a particular way so you can make informed decisions about products and find out what works so you no longer have to do that! Then you just have an easy routine to follow with good results. I think once you get the styling sorted too you’ll find that you get better results that last longer – if you add in things like pineappling your hair at night you should find your hair starts to be less time consuming/annoying!!

Anyway, happy to help and I hope I haven’t freaked you out with all that info! Let me know if you have any questions but 1st things 1st I’d check that you are using silicone and sulphate free products!

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

10-12-2015, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 03:27 AM by ashleysummer.)
Have you tried to apply an Almond oil? It seems to be very helpful for frizzy hair.It`s recommended natural oil to fight frizzy hair and have a healthy and beautiful mane. It's also ideal to repair damages caused by the straightener and hair-dryer's heat. Almond oil is a perfect solution for African and American girls (read more here).
10-12-2015, 10:34 AM
I haven't tried it because my hair is very fine and oild just make it super soft and flyaway!

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

11-08-2016, 06:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2016 01:39 AM by Lin4447.)
From someone with straight hair but with daughter & granddaughters with curly long hair I would suggest argan oil applied to ends and up hair shaft, combed through & left to air dry - seems to work for them they use the pro-naturals Moroccan argan oil which is sold as a leave in treatment & has worked beautifully for both of them and for keeping my hair in good condition as well.