Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Silicone free conditoner
20-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Silicone free conditoner
Hi Curlies Smile

So i read the article Lou wrote about co-washing and the importance of not using conditioners with silicones in them and the examples of what might be silicone, those ingredients ending is cone etc...

anyhow i have a few sample conditioners here, from beauty boxes and such and had a look at the ingredients and they all seem to have silicone in them Dodgy

GKMBJ
Goldwell
Suigo

So I was wondering if some of you can list the conditioner you use in your hair for co-washing, also do you use a different one for washing and conditioning?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2013, 12:49 PM
RE: Silicone free conditoner
Hi Oonga,

Yeah its really annoying when you realise how many of your products have silicone in them! I use the Tresseme Naturals conditioner for my co-wash as its cheap (especially in chemist warehouse), comes in a big bottle and its quite light. It has on the bottle 'silcone free' so you'll know which one it is. It's got ok slip so I find it helps start the de-tangling process. I and I'd think most other curlies use a different conditioner for the conditioning part. My hair is really dry and I have lots of it so I need a heavier/creamier conditioner than tresseme's for that.

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

http://www.loveyourcurls.com.au
20-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Yep can't see Tresemme being conditioning enough for our dry curls.
But I can see how it would work for the wash part!
Thanks for the tip.

What do you use for the conditioning part?
20-10-2013, 01:09 PM
I swap around quite a lot as I like to try things out (although my bank balance disagrees) and also depending on what I feel my hair needs but my staple conditioner is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. You can get it online in various places.

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

20-10-2013, 03:13 PM
thanks Lou Smile

THe Muk hair spa range sounds good.

I am so sick of spending so much on my hair Sad

I now try to get sample sizes first, happy to pay for them, but hesitant to get full size products without trying first.

Now i am learning more, I realise its probably all the rubbish in most products taht is not good for my hair type, which is included in the high end brands!

Still trying to sort out whether i will go sulfate free or co -wash.

Maybe i will get a bottle of sulfate free and then look into cowashing again.
I feel i don't quite know enough about it, it all seems simple enough, and i am probably just reading into it all too much lol
20-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah i know what you mean. The more you learn about your hair, like porosity if its fine, if it likes protien etc the easier it should be to find the right types of products... but with curly hair its always a bit of trial and error. I think I'll set up a swap board on here and then people can swap things that aren't working for them! i have a cupboard full! I give them to my boyfriend but some of them even he's not going to use ha ha

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

21-10-2013, 10:25 AM
hmmm i have emailed about the kevin murphy range, and now I *think* they might actually contain silicones Sad
21-10-2013, 05:40 PM
ok just an update the Kevin Murphy has water based silicone in it! Cool
21-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Silicone free conditoner
Ooh that's good news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

30-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Further to the above Kevin Murphy comment, their lab also sent this about the Silicones Smile

Our silicones will not build up, they will easily wash away from the hair without any build up. These are not the old silicones of the past that were greasy and heavy, these are attached to amino acids and proteins. This is a new generation of silicones that are used in the most expensive and high end skin care to remove fine lines and wrinkles and for anti-ageing properties.