Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Styling Products
07-04-2015, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2015 09:58 AM by bouncybear.)
Styling Products
Hi there Big Grin
So I'm Bella, I'm 15 and I live in Melbourne. I have 3B-3C hair and I'm currently really struggling to find any good styling products that are reasonably priced and accessible. I did find one website which I really recommend (4mycurls.com.au) but the products are still a little too expensive to be purchasing all the time. The only good products seem to be online and they're ok priced to a little expnsive but add the shipping cost on top and multiply it by the amount of times I need to buy it and it adds up to a whole lotta money. I've found organic shampoo's and conditioners alright just in priceline like Sukin and a couple others but absolutely no styling products that are free of all silicones, sulphates and the others that are listed on this blog to not use. I could really use some help here, I'm struggling. Thanks so much everyone. Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say about this. I've attached a picture of my hair down below. The pic is from when I went to Neel Love Curls hair salon (who, btw, I really recommend) but I can't seem to achieve the same result so the pic is on my best hair day really. He used Jessicurl and I've just recently bought Jssicurl Confident Coils and Rockin Ringlets from the site I recommended before but I can't really get it working for me. My hair is still frizzy and the top of my hair has no volume (helmet head). I really need some help here. Thanks everyone.
Bella Xx

3B-3C hair type
Medium length
Low Porosity
Mixture of all textures but mainly medium-coarse (I think...)
Medium-High Density
Bella Xx
HeartHeart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2015, 04:32 PM
RE: Styling Products
So I guess a good place to start would be to find out what you are currently doing in your routine – are you washing or ‘co-washing’, how often are you washing or ‘co-washing’, how do you style your hair, how do you dry it etc… Once I know this I can hopefully point you in the right direction for products etc and cheaper ones too (you can even make your own hair gel which is easy, cheap and works well!). The other thing is as you work out what works for your hair hopefully you won’t need to wash/wet/style as often so you will end up using less products so it’ll be less expensive! The reason I ask about your routine is that I used to get pretty good results doing what I was doing but I still got a lot of frizz and my hair would only really last one day. I made a few simple changes to how I was styling/drying my hair and it made a HUGE difference!

If your hair is coarse as you say in your profile then you want to avoid protein and get some moisture into your routine. You should try to use thicker creamy conditioners as these will be more moisturising. Are you sure you hair has a low porosity? Just because you say you have been struggling with frizz. Do you find that you need to use a lot of product when you style your hair? Does it dry quite quickly, like do you get a halo of frizz pretty quickly after you come out of the shower?

I’ll hopefully be able to help more once I know your routine. I don’t use shampoo (sulphate free or otherwise) as I “co-wash” with a silicone free conditioner. For this is use either the tresseme ‘naturals’ conditioner or ‘Garnier Fructis pure shine conditioner’. Generally I use the tresseme one as its cheap and comes in a big bottle! There are other conditioners - yes to carrots, sukin and moogoo which can be used for co-washing that are available on the high street. A range called ‘Aubrey Organics do a good sulphate free shampoo and I used it for a while but I found using a shampoo made my hair get really tangled – I much prefer to wash with a conditioner as it cleans, moisturises and helps detangle at the same time!

I LOVE and have used the same silicone free conditioner for years. It is also by ‘Aubrey Organics’ and is the ‘Honey Suckle Rose’ one. It’s a thick moisturising conditioner which is really great and I think this is a good one for you to try as its nice and rich/creamy. I get this on iherb.com and you can get their whole range on here so if you wanted to try the shampoo you can get it here too. Here is a link to the full range on iherb: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=aubrey+organics#p=1 .

As for leave in/stylers I use ‘Kinky Curly Knot Today’ as a leave in and it also provides some hold which is great. I love this product and wouldn’t be without it! I actually use a product which you can only get in the uk as my styler (I’m from Scotland so I stock up when I go home) so don’t know much about gels I’m afraid. However, the ‘kinky curly curling custard’ has amazing reviews and is meant to be good for thicker curlier hair so that could be worth a shot for you. Again, I get kinky curly products on iherb. The kinky curly range do sulphate free shampoos and styling products too but I only use the leave in so can’t comment on the other products. However, it is a hugely popular range so worth a go! There range can be found here: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=kinky+cur...-curly#p=1 If your hair is coarse it might be worth using a leave in and then putting a styling product on top whether that is a gel or a curl cream… The layering helps to seal in moisture.

Aubrey organics have a load of gels, and some people use 100% natural aloe vera as a gel too which you could try! It’s really cheap (especially if you happen to have a aloe vera plant in your garden!) and easy to find. I think Aubrey Organics do one for about $6 but there might be other ones on iherb for cheaper. I used to make my own gel with linseeds which was great – I’ll do a post about it soon so keep a look out for that. I normally stock up on iherb and get a couple of bottles of each although the shipping is only $4 with iherb which is great.

Anyway, that’s just some ideas, I think some changes to your styling routine will help too. I don’t want you to be blindly trying loads of products out and spending lots of money so if we can try make informed choices it will be much better!

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

http://www.loveyourcurls.com.au
08-04-2015, 04:32 PM
So I guess a good place to start would be to find out what you are currently doing in your routine – are you washing or ‘co-washing’, how often are you washing or ‘co-washing’, how do you style your hair, how do you dry it etc… Once I know this I can hopefully point you in the right direction for products etc and cheaper ones too (you can even make your own hair gel which is easy, cheap and works well!). The other thing is as you work out what works for your hair hopefully you won’t need to wash/wet/style as often so you will end up using less products so it’ll be less expensive! The reason I ask about your routine is that I used to get pretty good results doing what I was doing but I still got a lot of frizz and my hair would only really last one day. I made a few simple changes to how I was styling/drying my hair and it made a HUGE difference!

If your hair is coarse as you say in your profile then you want to avoid protein and get some moisture into your routine. You should try to use thicker creamy conditioners as these will be more moisturising. Are you sure you hair has a low porosity? Just because you say you have been struggling with frizz. Do you find that you need to use a lot of product when you style your hair? Does it dry quite quickly, like do you get a halo of frizz pretty quickly after you come out of the shower?

I’ll hopefully be able to help more once I know your routine. I don’t use shampoo (sulphate free or otherwise) as I “co-wash” with a silicone free conditioner. For this is use either the tresseme ‘naturals’ conditioner or ‘Garnier Fructis pure shine conditioner’. Generally I use the tresseme one as its cheap and comes in a big bottle! There are other conditioners - yes to carrots, sukin and moogoo which can be used for co-washing that are available on the high street. A range called ‘Aubrey Organics do a good sulphate free shampoo and I used it for a while but I found using a shampoo made my hair get really tangled – I much prefer to wash with a conditioner as it cleans, moisturises and helps detangle at the same time!

I LOVE and have used the same silicone free conditioner for years. It is also by ‘Aubrey Organics’ and is the ‘Honey Suckle Rose’ one. It’s a thick moisturising conditioner which is really great and I think this is a good one for you to try as its nice and rich/creamy. I get this on iherb.com and you can get their whole range on here so if you wanted to try the shampoo you can get it here too. Here is a link to the full range on iherb: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=aubrey+organics#p=1 .

As for leave in/stylers I use ‘Kinky Curly Knot Today’ as a leave in and it also provides some hold which is great. I love this product and wouldn’t be without it! I actually use a product which you can only get in the uk as my styler (I’m from Scotland so I stock up when I go home) so don’t know much about gels I’m afraid. However, the ‘kinky curly curling custard’ has amazing reviews and is meant to be good for thicker curlier hair so that could be worth a shot for you. Again, I get kinky curly products on iherb. The kinky curly range do sulphate free shampoos and styling products too but I only use the leave in so can’t comment on the other products. However, it is a hugely popular range so worth a go! There range can be found here: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=kinky+cur...-curly#p=1 If your hair is coarse it might be worth using a leave in and then putting a styling product on top whether that is a gel or a curl cream… The layering helps to seal in moisture.

Aubrey organics have a load of gels, and some people use 100% natural aloe vera as a gel too which you could try! It’s really cheap (especially if you happen to have a aloe vera plant in your garden!) and easy to find. I think Aubrey Organics do one for about $6 but there might be other ones on iherb for cheaper. I used to make my own gel with linseeds which was great – I’ll do a post about it soon so keep a look out for that. I normally stock up on iherb and get a couple of bottles of each although the shipping is only $4 with iherb which is great.

Anyway, that’s just some ideas, I think some changes to your styling routine will help too. I don’t want you to be blindly trying loads of products out and spending lots of money so if we can try make informed choices it will be much better!

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

08-04-2015, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015 03:52 PM by bouncybear.)
Hi Lou, Thanks so so so much! That really really helps!
So at the moment, I'm actually using up my old shampoo's and conditioners which have sulfates and silicone's so I guess I'll see some improvement after I buy new products like the ones you suggested. How much conditioner do you suggest I use? At the moment, I'm using the shampoo once every 1-2 weeks and conditioning about every 4th day but with school, I usually end up just doing it once a week and having it in a bun for the majority of the time. My second day hair is okay, not great but ok and then after that it's bun time. Do you have any product suggestions like a spray or oil or something to revitalize second and third day hair? I've just started putting my products in while my hair is soaking wet and then dabbing with micro fiber towel and then diffusing 75% dry. I didn't actually know what a deep condition was until reading your blog so I haven't been doing that. Do you have any suggestions for what deep conditioners I could use? Also, would you suggest that I do the ACV rinse?
I'm pretty sure I do have low porosity as my hair takes a life time to dry after the shower and I don't get the halo of frizz after the shower either. I never get oily hair, EVER, my hair is very much on the dry side all the way, no oil in my hair. I tried the test where you put your hair in a glass of water and my hair floated. But my hair is very dry and frizz is an issue with me. I used to get rid of the frizz by loading on too much of Pantene's 'smoothly does it' leave in which did work but it pulls my curls down a little and I had no volume with a helmet head look which I've recently been trying to get rid of but been struggling with a little.

I think I'll try out Sukin and Treseme natural for the co-wash and maybe the Aubrey Organics sulfate free shampoo. I'll definitely try out the Aubrey Organics honey suckle rose conditioner, sounds perfect. I'll try out the kinky curly leave in (and maybe the alchemy leave in which seam good for some light moisture under a gel) under the kinky curly gel. I'll try some aloe vera straight from my garden too.

Also, how would you suggest to deal with dandruff and build up without damaging and drying out my hair?

Thanks so so much for all the great, lifesaving tips. I'll see how I go! Smile

3B-3C hair type
Medium length
Low Porosity
Medium-High Density
Bella Xx
HeartHeart
10-04-2015, 04:50 PM
No problem, glad I can help. If you are still using sulphate/silicone products them I’m sure you will start to see big improvement in frizz once you go fully ‘GC’. If your hair is a bit off to begine with please stick at it as some people find it takes their hair a few weeks to settle into the new routine of no silicones/sulphates.

Putting your products in when your hair is soaking wet really helps for me, if its damp or drying it goes really frizzy. If you haven’t seen the video on the blog where I show you how I style my hair have a look. This is what made the difference between getting one day out of my hair to now getting at least 3 but normally 4 or 5. It takes a bit longer but it’s worth it if it means you don’t need to style your hair for days. If you are just planning on wearing your hair up I probably wouldn’t bother but for getting nice defined curls this has been key to me. Its good you have a micro-fibre towel. I use one of those ‘travel’ towels which are micro-fibre but possibly even smoother. I saw them in kmart the other day in the camping section for like $5! Do you ever ‘plop’ to cut down on drying time? Another trick which seems silly but can help is to switch your diffuser off when you move to a new section of hair. Its stops your hair being blown around and getting frizzy. All curls are different but if I touch my hair before it is dry it just frizzes! Of course if you want big volume then I wouldn’t bother, although I find I can still get volume once my hair is dry by shaking it around and fluffy it up with my hands. I struggle with volume at my roots too, my hair is actually really long and it gets weighed down. I also use a lot of products which doesn’t help! You can clip your hair at the roots when you dry it and this helps (must do a post on this soon!). Maybe Neel showed you this? Also pineppling your hair at night gives good volume the next day. I also sleep with a silk scarf to get more days wear out of my hair – not sure if you have tried this?

As for deep conditioner, I’ll have to have a think about this. My hair is very fine and gets over moisturised easily so I don’t ever deep conditions but there are lots of things you can make at home which work great. Let me think about that one.

As for scalp issues. The MooGoo shampoo is meant to be really good for people with dandruff/scalp issues. I’ve heard it’s really good (but I’ve never used it myself). It’s probably a bit more expensive than high street brands but if it works it might be worth it. Another trick is to add some sugar to your shampoo or ‘co-wash’. Brown would probably be best as it has a bigger grain. You can then massage your scalp as normal but the sugar will act as a sort of scrub which can help with itchy scalps. It’ll dissolve when you rinse!

Ok think that covers it for now but let me know if you have any more questions and I’ll always try to answer/find out the answer for you, good luck!

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

12-04-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks so much. All questions anwered. Looking forward to my curly journey.

3B-3C hair type
Medium length
Low Porosity
Medium-High Density
Bella Xx
HeartHeart
08-05-2015, 07:43 PM
I've gone silicone free once before. and Can attest to the first couple of weeks being a bit of a nightmare, but onec it settles and gets used to it, things sit a lot nicer.

I loved how neel did my hair, but I honestly don't think that's something one could really replicate themselves to the same effect, mainly because you don't have eyes above yourself or arms which can swivel to that degree, that having a second person there can.

If you are planning for a night out, I would try and rope in a close friend to help with drying if you're using a diffuser, make sure it's one who does well with instructions and understands how much effort goes into your hair if you're really going all out.

I'm in the same boat as you in terms of getting rid of the last of my product before moving on. I think a lot of it is going to be trial and error.

3B, High porosity, highlighted fine but lots
I'm so confused I could shave it off right now.
10-06-2015, 04:12 AM
I am love love loving Olaplex for my curls. Not so much as a styling product but as a treatment before I shampoo and condition. Although I have used a bit as a leave in and that worked great too. Out of everything I have tried, it has made my curls the bounciest and curliest. I use my regular favorite products but I don't need quite as much of them. When my stylist uses it in my bleach, I don't have to wait for my curls to come back like I used to.
10-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Ooh I haven't heard of that brand! I take it they are GC friendly?

Medium-Long Fine Curls
3B-3C Hair
High Porosity
Highlighted Hair

17-08-2016, 01:34 PM
(08-04-2015 04:32 PM)Lou Wrote:  So I guess a good place to start would be to find out what you are currently doing in your routine – are you washing or ‘co-washing’, how often are you washing or ‘co-washing’, how do you style your hair, how do you dry it etc… Once I know this I can hopefully point you in the right direction for products etc and cheaper ones too (you can even make your own hair gel which is easy, cheap and works well!). The other thing is as you work out what works for your hair hopefully you won’t need to wash/wet/style as often so you will end up using less products so it’ll be less expensive! The reason I ask about your routine is that I used to get pretty good results doing what I was doing but I still got a lot of frizz and my hair would only really last one day. I made a few simple changes to how I was styling/drying my hair and it made a HUGE difference!

First of all, thank you for creating such a great website and forum. I'm finding it full of useful and clear tips for managing my very curly hair (I think I'm a 4C).

You mentioned in your post that you use a styler from the UK. Would you mind please sharing the name of the styler? I have family in the UK (I was born in Northern Ireland) so I may be able to ask them to post the styler to me.

Thanks in advance.